Hemigraphis Repanda (Dragon’s Tongue) Plant Care
Dragon’s Tongue additionally referred to as Hemigraphis repanda. Belongs to the acanthaceae family and is native to Malaysia and India. The half medical name Hemigraphis is a Greek word. Hemi means 1/2 and graphics approach a stylus or paintbrush. On the alternative hand. It refers to the plant’s wavy leaf edges. Dragon’s Tongue Plant Care On the alternative hand. It refers to the plant’s wavy leaf edges. The not unusual call dragon plant is certainly one of numerous the hemigraphis repanda is referred to as.
The not unusual call dragon plant is certainly one of numerous the hemigraphis repanda is referred to as. Others consist of:
- Dragon’s breath
- Waffle plant
The Acanthaceae Family Include:
- Mexican Petunia (Ruellia)
- Purple Waffle Plant (Hemigraphis)
Dragon Tongue Plant Care
Size and Growth
Dragon’s Tongue is a slow-growing perennial with a low-growing growth habit. Accomplishing up to 9 inches tall.
The inexperienced leaves are skinny and slender with a crinkly texture and boast suggestions of a darkish crimson or maroon color.
The first-class, colorful leaves generally reach up to 3″ inches in duration.
Flowering and Fragrance
When supplied with the right growing condition. The small Hemigraphis Repanda plant produces red or white plants with six petals.
The clean, vivid white plants upload a stunning contrast to the earthy foliage plant.
The tiny, sensitive flowers usually bloom. In early spring or summer and produce a light heady scent that draws pollinators.
Light and Temperature
The Dragon Tongue prefers filtered light to broaden absolutely.
Bright, direct daylight will burn the foliage so avoid setting hemigraphis repanda in complete solar.
The perennial Dragon’s Repanda is adaptable to low mild. However, growing in low lighting fixtures slows down the boom.
Dragon’s Tongue enjoys being in a warm area. With average to excessive temperatures ranging from 41° to 61° stages Fahrenheit 5° – 16° C.
The USDA hardiness sector of the plant is from 10 to 11.
Make sure no longer to expose the plant to temperatures underneath 41° ranges Fahrenheit 5° C.
Watering and Feeding
- Ruellia repanda prefers occasional watering to keep the soil moist.
- Water while the soil feels dry as this evergreen perennial does now not do nicely in massive dry spells.
- When it involves feeding, use a balanced liquid fertilizer.
- Apply a proper dose of the fertilizer every month within the blooming season. Ideally in past due spring.
- During fall and iciness. Do now not fertilize the plant as it’s far dormant.
- Dragon’s Tongue prefers evenly moist, porous. Properly-tired soil to develop properly.
Water Hemigraphis frequently but in no way permit the soil to stay moist.
Also Read About: NJoy Pothos Care, Growing The N-Joy Pothos Plant
Grooming and Maintenance
- Ensure the plant receives brilliant mild for exceptional effects.
- Even though the plant might also continue to exist in low light. It will develop higher while located in a brilliant area.
- Light pruning is vital to hold the plant in its excellent form and size.
- Cutaway old, dead flowers and leaves. To allow the hemigraphis to live wholesomely and inspire new increase.
How to Propagate Hemigraphis
Dragon’s tongue is usually propagated with the aid of root divisions or cuttings.
In the foundation division approach:
- Dig up the plant and divide the crown and root ball into more than one section.
- Once divided, do away with the excess soil and undesirable materials.
- Replant in a brand new pot or box in a vivid, warm area.
- Consider root department in fall or winter while the perennial is at rest.
In the cutting method:
- Cut a small 3″ inch stem
- Remove all of the lower leaves from the stem.
- Dip the reducing into a rooting hormone
- Plant in a new pot with nicely draining soil or potting mix.
- Make sure the pot has the right drainage holes in them.
Hemigraphis Pests and Diseases
The Dragon’s plant is prone to some bugs along with:
- Bean weevils
- Mexican bean beetles
- Due to lack of watering. The leaves emerge as thin and lanky.
They may also develop white spots.
Dragon’s Tongue Uses
The stunning pink foliage makes the small houseplant an exquisite choice for floor covers. Striking baskets, coloration field gardens, window bins, garden borders, and a terrarium plant.
The evergreen plant additionally produces nectar inside the blooming months and attracts pollinators. Which include bees and hummingbirds.
Dragon tongue beans are frequently combined with herbs. Spices, and greens for food.
Prune flowers freely to maintain the favored length and shape. Pinching flora again stimulates dense, bushy new growth and encourages more flora.
Remove vintage plant life to maintain plant searching healthful and save you seed manufacturing. That drains the plant’s energy at the rate of forming new vegetation.
Some plant life is grown best for their appealing foliage. Their flora is not very showy and any buds. Need to be pinched off to maintain the foliage looking its quality.